Stats
MIKU HATSUNE
Vocaloid: Project DIVA
Butterfly Kimono

Costume Stats:
Costume Completed: 2012
Costume Remade: 2017
Debut: PortCon Maine 2012
Convention History:
PortCon Maine 2012
Katsucon 2017
Anime Boston 2018
Katsucon 2019
Anime Boston 2019
Photo Castmates:
Rin Kagamine: Scarlet
Luka Megurine: Majodere
Photo Credits:
Sketch
Marlo Louden Photography
Miku Hatsune's Butterfly Kimono first appears in Project DIVA: 2ND and subsequently has been incorporated into eight Project DIVA titles, becoming one of her most recognizable alternate costumes. It's vibrant colors and cute design were intended to evoke the intricate wings of a butterfly, and it was originally designed to be partnered with Luka Megerine's Blossom Kimono.

Construction Notes:
I originally made this costume terribly for PortCon Maine 2012; I have a bad history of slapping costumes together for that con, partially because I underestimate how much time a "simple" costume takes to make, and mostly because it's summer and I don't feel like sewing. Regardless, pretty much anything new I've ever made for PortCon needed to be completely redone and Miku's butterfly kimono was no different. For Katsucon 2017 I remade this properly, starting with modifying McCall's 2940 kimono pattern for the jacket. I choose a thick navy bottomweight for the jacket and a cotton blue for the lining with a mustard cotton collar stiffened with two layers of interfacing. The butterfly appliqués were fused on and then satin stitched, and unlike the first go where I faked having layered sleeves, this time I actually made two sets of sleeves and attached both to the jacket top. The circle skirt was made from a light green cotton that was airbrushed with a darker green gradient, and a top grey cotton layer dip-dyed with a black gradient. The ponytail covers were made with leftover materials from the jacket which snap together and the pink ribbons were made with scrap pink shiny fabric with way too many black appliqué butterflies. The cherry blossoms are individually sewn tougher with fishing line and then attached to the ponytail covers. The pink obi is the only item that I kept from the original version of the costume, but I backed it with a green wider obi which was made with leftover sleeve fabric. The shoes were bought online, but I used extra green triangle trim that I made for the sleeves to edge them. Finally I bought gold folding fans online from Japan to use as a dancing prop, and I also occasionally carry a pink parasol.

Photoshoot Pics: