Homepage
Costume Gallery
Conventions/Events
Stage Performances
AMVs and FMVs
Animecons.TV
About/FAQ
Past Updates
Links In/Out
Stats
Convention History:
PortCon Maine 2012
Katsucon 2017
Photo Castmates:
Luka Megurine: EllyStar
Photo Credits:
Sketch
MIKU HATSUNE: Butterfly Kimono Version
Vocaloid: Project DIVA 2

I've never actually any of the Project DIVA games, but I've watched many of the videos online and loved Miku and Luka's adorable kimono outfits from the Magnet videos! When I told EllyStar that I was planning on doing Miku's butterfly kimono for PortCon Maine 2012, she decided to make Luka's as well.

Construction Notes:
I have a long, terrible history of slapping costumes together for PortCon Maine; partially because it's a small con and I underestimate how much time a "simple, comfy" costume takes to make, and partially because it always falls right before Fourth of July weekend and by that point, I am much more into frolicking in New England's short-lived summer weather than sitting in the house sewing. Suffice to say, pretty much anything new I've ever made for PortCon that I was ever serious about wearing again needed to be completely redone. Miku's butterfly kimono was no different; comfy and simple and ill-fitting it was, but accurate it was not. For Katsucon 2017 I decided to finally remake it properly so I would not be embarrassed to wear it to more cons. For the jacket I modified McCall's 2940 kimono pattern using navy bottomweight and a fully lined backing, with a mustard cotton collar stiffened with two layers of interfacing. The butterfly appliqués were fused on and then satin stitched, and unlike the first go where I faked having two sleeves, this time I actually made two sets of sleeves and attached both to the jacket top. The circle skirt was made from a light green cotton that was airbrushed with a darker green gradient, and a top grey cotton layer dip-dyed with a black gradient. The hair covers were made with leftover materials from the jacket, and the pink ribbons were made with scrap pink shiny fabric with way too many black appliqué butterflies. They are all held together with wire and fake cherry blossoms from Joann's. The pink obi is the only item that I kept from the original version of the costume, but I backed it with a green wider obi which was made with leftover sleeve fabric. The shoes were bought online, but I used extra green triangle trim that I made for the sleeves to edge them.

Photoshoot Pics: